Every year I make a list of things that bring joy to my heart, specifically, my geeky heart. This year is a challenge, not because it wasn’t full of wonderful things but because my brain has turned into Swiss cheese and I have a hard time remembering what happened this year. Avengers: Endgame was THIS YEAR, people. It’s confusing.
Anyway, here are some things that made me happy – I hope you too found happiness in your own nerdy way. To qualify for my list, a nerdy item must be something I enjoyed in 2019, but not necessarily for the first time. Daughter wanted to watch a lot of Halloween fair in October so you’ll notice a certain predominance of those kinds of movies which are fresh in my mind. I don’t know what happened this summer or spring. Stuff, I guess.
Here’s the list:
- Thomasin tells off her father (The Witch).
- “We ARE the weirdos!” the first half of The Craft, which is still sublime. Let’s just all pretend the second half never happened.
- The fashion sense of Practical Magic.
- Midnight margaritas! (Practical Magic).
- Every single thing about The Good Place.
- Nicholas Hoult’s eyes in Warm Bodies.
- Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir.
- The Good Place panel at San Diego Comic Con, at which everyone cried and all the cosplayers took group selfies in the aisles.
- The “nerd” conversation in Stranger Things.
- Emily’s angry face in Corpse Bride.
- The Back to the Future conversation in Stranger Things.
- The Back to the Future conversation in Avengers: Endgame.
- Goose and Lt. Trouble in Captain Marvel.
- Captain Marvel!
- Chuck Tingle’s facebook account.
- My Life as a Background Slytherin and Bloodlust and Bonnets by Emily McGovern
- Minor Characters by Joyce Johnson.
- Re-reading the Sandman comics. FOR WORK!
- The Cephalopod Tarot.
- The Next World Tarot.
- Into the Spiderverse! Spider-Ham!
I wish you and yours a nerdy and wonderful Thanksgiving. Eat all the pie! Watch all the things! Read all the stuff! Higher, further, faster, Baby!