It’s library week here at Geek Girl In Love, and here’s ten quotes about libraries in science fiction and fantasy. I meant to make this a list of quotes by fictional characters, but the authors had such great things to say in their own voices that I let them have a say, too.
1. “She sounds like someone who spends a lot of time in libraries, which are the best sorts of people.”
2. “I am a librarian. I discovered me in the library. I went to find me in the library. Before I fell in love with libraries, I was just a
six-year-old boy. The library fueled all of my curiosities, from dinosaurs to ancient Egypt. When I graduated from high school in 1938, I began going to the library three nights a week. I did this every week for almost ten years and finally, in 1947, around the time I got married, I figured I was done. So I graduated from the library when I was twenty-seven. I discovered that the library is the real school.”
– Ray Bradbury
3. “Rule number one: Don’t fuck with librarians.”
4. “Interlibrary loans are a wonder of the world and a glory of civilization.”
5. “I was a hugely unchaperoned reader, and I would wander into my local public library and there sat the world, waiting for me to look at it, to find out about it, to discover who I might be inside it.”
6. “…bookstores, libraries… they’re the closest thing I have to a church.”
7. “We are the only species on the planet, so far as we know, to have invented a communal memory stored neither in our genes nor in our brains. The warehouse of this memory is called the library”
8. “Once again I’m banished to the demon section of the card catalog.”
– Willow, Buffy The Vampire Slayer
9. “The three rules of the Librarians of Time and Space are: 1) Silence; 2) Books must be returned by no later than the date shown; and 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality.”
– Terry Pratchett, Guards, Guards
10. And the most Badassas of them all:
“For him that stealeth, or borroweth and returneth not, this book from its owner,
Let it change into a serpent in his hand and rend him.
Let him be struck with palsy and all his members blasted.
Let him languish in pain crying out for mercy,
Let there be no surcease to his agony till he sink in dissolution.
Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the worm that dieth not.
When at last he goeth to his final punishment,
Let the flames of Hell consume him forever.
Soooo…okay then. I guess I better go turn in that overdue book that I just found under the couch. Thanks to Good Reads for the quotes!